At this time, Grammarly for Windows supports the following versions of Microsoft Office:
- Microsoft Office 2016 and newer
- Microsoft Office 365 (installed/updated after February 2020)
If you’d like to check the details of your Microsoft Office version, please follow the instructions in this Microsoft Support article. If you are running an older version of Microsoft Office 2016, we suggest installing the latest updates before proceeding.
If you use Microsoft Office 2016 and newer and still experience this issue, please follow the steps below:
- Minimize and restore the current window.
If this doesn’t help, click on the Grammarly icon in the system tray (located in the lower-right corner of your screen), right-click on it, and choose Quit Grammarly:
- Then, click Type here to search beside your Start menu, type in “Grammarly”, and launch the Grammarly app. Alternatively, please double-click the Grammarly thumbnail on your desktop.
If the issue persists, please do the following:
Find the Grammarly icon in the system tray (located in the lower-right corner of your screen), right-click on it, and choose Settings:
- Select the Blocked Apps (or Access) tab. If Grammarly was deactivated on certain websites or apps, the list of such websites or apps will appear under Blocked by me.
If none of the above helped, please reach out to the Support team indicating the Microsoft Office version you’re currently using.
Please make sure that you have only one Microsoft Office document opened. If you open two documents simultaneously, Grammarly for Mac will initialize in only one of them.
Additionally, Grammarly doesn't work in Microsoft Word when the Outline or Draft layout is selected. If one of those two options is selected, follow these steps to change the setting:
- In your Microsoft Word menu, select View.
Select Print Layout or Web Layout:
If you are already using Print Layout or Web Layout, please follow the steps below:
- Minimize the current window and then restore it.
If that didn’t help, click on the Grammarly icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen and choose Quit:
- Then, open Launchpad, locate Grammarly Desktop, and click it. Alternatively, open Finder, select Applications in the sidebar, and double-click on Grammarly Desktop.
If Grammarly still doesn’t work in Microsoft Office products, follow these steps:
Find the Grammarly icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen and choose Settings:
- Click Blocked Apps (or Access) and check whether the application you’re using is listed under Blocked by me.