Who has access?
- Grammarly Business and Grammarly for Education account owners
- Grammarly Business and Grammarly for Education contributors
- Grammarly Business and Grammarly for Education users (personal snippets only)
Snippets are reusable phrases, sentences, and even whole paragraphs that you can easily insert into your text to save you time when you use Grammarly for Windows or Grammarly for Mac.
Topics covered in this article:
- How do I create a snippet?
- How do I create collections of snippets for different user groups?
- How do I use a snippet?
- How do I edit or delete a snippet?
- How do I customize my keyboard shortcut?
How do I create a snippet?
There are three ways to create a snippet.
- Go to the Snippets page by clicking Snippets in the left-side panel and click Create Snippet.
- Navigate to the Snippets page click on any collection (My Organization collection is available by default) and click Import CSV in the upper-right corner. You will see the prompt to download a template which you can fill with the list of phrases commonly used for writing in your organization. Once the template is filled, click Next in the same window and upload the file. Team members with “user” permissions will be able to add snippets only to the personal collections.
- Press \ while typing with Grammarly for Windows or Grammarly for Mac to open the snippets menu. Click Create snippet and fill in the name and the text of the snippet.
If you’re a Grammarly Business account owner or contributor, you can create personal snippets and snippets for other team members. You can choose who has access to the snippet when you create it from the Snippets page, by choosing a collection. You can also change this setting later when editing the snippet.
How do I create collections of snippets for different user groups?
- Navigate to the Snippets page.
- Click Create Collection in the top-right corner.
- Fill in the name of the collection and choose who should have access:
Once a collection is created, you can populate it with snippets by choosing the corresponding option when creating a snippet from the Snippets page as described above.
While writing, team members will have access only to personal snippets, company snippets, and snippets of the user group they are a part of.
On the Snippets page, team members with “owner” and “contributor” permissions will be able to edit all snippets and all collections while team members with the “user” role can edit only their personal snippets.
The option to assign snippets to groups will be greyed out until you have at least one user group on your team. For more information on how to create user groups, please see this article.
How do I use a snippet?
To use a snippet while typing with Grammarly for Windows or Grammarly for Mac, press \ to open your snippets library. In this library, your snippets will be sorted by frequency of usage.
Use the up and down arrow keys to browse your snippets or continue typing to search for a snippet by name or keyword in the content. For example, if you type “\late”, you’ll pull up the snippet “I’ll be a few minutes late. My previous meeting is running over.”
To insert the snippet into your text, click on the snippet or press Enter.
How do I edit or delete a snippet?
You can edit and delete snippets from the Snippets page of your account.
Choose a collection, find the snippet you’d like to modify, and click on the pencil icon next to it to edit it. If you want to delete, move, or duplicate a snippet - simply click the three dots icon.
If you’re an account owner or contributor, you can edit, delete, and move your own personal snippets, company snippets, and group snippets from the Snippets page. If you delete a company snippet, the rest of your company will no longer be able to use it.
Team members with “user” permissions can edit only their personal snippets.
How do I customize my keyboard shortcut?
To use a different keyboard shortcut to insert your snippets, log in to your Grammarly account, click Customize on the left-side panel, and click Features. Here's a direct link: https://account.grammarly.com/customize/products.
From there, you can assign a new keyboard shortcut. It’s a good idea to choose a character that you don’t normally use when typing.
You can also customize your keyboard shortcut when you type in the Grammarly browser extension. Press \ and click on the three dots. Then, choose Edit shortcut.