If you see this error message when trying to install Grammarly for Microsoft Office, please make sure that a supported version of Microsoft Office is installed on your machine:
If the issue persists, please follow these steps:
- Download Grammarly for Microsoft Office at https://grammarly.com/office-addin and continue the installation, even if you see that error message.
- Then, open Microsoft Word or Outlook as an administrator. To do that, please right-click the MS Word or MS Outlook icon, and select Run as administrator from the dropdown menu.
- Go to File > Options > Add-ins. In the Manage section, click Go...
- In the COM Add-ins menu, click Add. Paste %LocalAppData%\Grammarly\Grammarly for Microsoft Office Suite to the address bar, and open the folder with the latest version. The title of the folder will look similar to 6.7.195.
- In the folder, please look for a folder with a title similar to 5496693E32 and open it. Then, select the GrammarlyShim32.dll file, and click OK.
Note: If you see an error message afterward, please try adding the GrammarlyShim64.dll file instead.
- See if Grammarly appears in MS Word or MS Outlook.
If the previous step didn't help, please do the following:
- Temporarily disable your antivirus software to follow the steps listed below.
- Right-click on the GrammarlyAddInSetup.exe file downloaded from https://grammarly.com/office-addin and select Run as administrator. If you don't have this option, please log in to Windows using the administrator account and try again.
- If that doesn't help, double-click the GrammarlyAddInSetup.exe file and, when you see the “Welcome to Grammarly” window, press and hold Shift and Ctrl keys on your keyboard, then click Get Started.
- Check the Install for all users option and click Next:
Note: If you don't see the option to install for all users, please download and run this file: https://gram.ly/HSJT
- If the issue persists, please repair MS Office as described here https://gram.ly/HSLv and try installing the add-in again.
- If none of the above helped, reinstall Microsoft Office.