You can silently install Grammarly for Microsoft Office on multiple computers at once using a managed software solution or deployment mechanism.
What to consider:
- The addin will be installed to %LOCALAPPDATA%/Grammarly for user-level installs and %ProgramFiles%/Grammarly or %ProgramFiles(x86)%/Grammarly for machine-level installations.
- Every member maintains their own version.
- Automatic updates are downloaded and installed for each member.
- For machine-level installations, end users need administrative privileges to install an update.
- The add-in will be available after restarting Microsoft Word or Outlook.
Before you begin, if you have activated SSO, make sure Managed Mode is configured. For detailed instructions, see this article.
- First, download Grammarly for Microsoft Office installer. The installer file should be named “GrammarlyAddInSetup.exe”.
- Create the installation package:
- On the Product Type tab, choose Standard program, and click Next.
- Specify the information about installation. In the Command line field, use the following options for each installation type:
- User-level install (preferred): GrammarlyAddinSetup.exe /silent
- Machine-level install: GrammarlyAddinSetup.exe /fastforallmode /silent
- We also recommend adding the /autostart parameter so that the add-in opens automatically when a user opens a document in Word or a new email in Outlook.
- Set run options:
- Finish the package installation:
- Deploy the newly created package on the client machines:
Note: If you would like to deploy the add-in for just Word or Outlook, you can add the /word or /outlook parameters to the installation command. For example: GrammarlyAddinSetup.exe /silent /word
Before you begin, confirm that your organization meets all requirements for using centralized deployment, as described in this article: Determine if Centralized Deployment of add-ins works for your Office 365 organization
If your organization meets all requirements, complete the following steps to publish an Office Add-in via Centralized Deployment:
- In the admin center, go to the Settings > Add-ins page.
- Select Deploy Add-in at the top of the page.
- On the overview page, select Next.
- Select I want to add an Add-In from the Office Store.
- Search for the “Grammarly” add-in and select it.
- On the next page, select Everyone, Specific users/groups, or Just me to specify who the add-in is deployed to. Use the Search box to find the users or groups that you want to deploy the add-in to.
- Select Deploy. This process may take up to three minutes. Then, finish the walkthrough by pressing Next. You now see your add-in along with other apps in Office 365.
For more information, see the official guide.
Depending on the installation type, users should expect the following behavior:
- User-level: Users won’t see any notifications, the update will install silently, and the new version becomes available after relaunching Word or Outlook.
- Machine-level: A notification (with an “install” button) is displayed, and users will need administrative privileges to install the update.