The Grammarly add-in for Microsoft Office allows you to use Grammarly while you’re writing Word documents or Outlook emails.
Before you download and install Grammarly for Microsoft Office, make sure Grammarly supports your operating system:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8, Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- Parallels (Windows OS on a Mac computer)
Supported versions of Office: Microsoft Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019.
Grammarly for Microsoft Office can be used with an Office 365 subscription as long as your plan provides one of the supported Microsoft Office versions.
User Guide: Getting Started
Opening Grammarly. Just click the Open Grammarly button in the Home tab (or use the button in your new Grammarly tab), and the Grammarly sidebar will appear.
Specifying check types. You choose the specific writing issues Grammarly will check.
Once you open Grammarly, you'll be brought to the Grammarly tab to specify which of our four categories of suggestions you want to run on your document.
To make sure Grammarly checks your document for Correctness, Clarity, Delivery, and Engagement, please click All Issues. To enable only one category, just click on it. Grammarly alerts will be shown directly in the sidebar window.
Certain types of suggestions, such as Oxford comma and passive voice alerts, can be turned off.
If you see a suggestion that is not helpful, click the trash bin icon in the upper right corner of the suggestion card. If it’s a suggestion that can be deactivated, you’ll see an option that says Turn off suggestions like this:
To turn deactivated suggestions back on, please click deactivated suggestions in the Grammarly tab:
Note: This feature is available only to Grammarly Premium users.
Making corrections. Accept text suggestions with one simple click on the alert card.
- Accept Alert: Click on a suggestion to apply the change in the text. To revert a recently applied suggestion, click Undo.
- Ignore Alert: Dismiss the alert and remove it from the list of suggestion cards.
- Add to Dictionary: Add a word to your personal dictionary to keep it from triggering future alerts. (Available only on some alert types).
- Learn More: Get a detailed explanation of the highlighted writing issue, and learn how you can improve your future writing.
Choosing document types. Choose the Audience, Formality, and Domain (type) of your text by clicking Adjust Goals.
Note: this feature comes with Grammarly Premium.
Changing default settings. Manage settings directly inside the setting dialog.
Click Settings to access your Grammarly settings within Word or Outlook. You can:
- View your account information
- Change your dictionary and profile settings
- Automatically enable Grammarly for every new document you create
- Check for updates to the Grammarly Add-in
- Configure proxy settings (useful for computers behind a firewall)